BARR is an intimate and fun literary gathering that features 25-30 authors who share their experiences and sell their works while
promoting literacy thru panel discussions, workshops and speakers.
Black Authors & Readers Rock Weekend provides authors the opportunity to:
- Meet 100-125 avid readers – in an up close and intimate setting.
- Introduce and sell their books to readers who might not otherwise have been exposed to their work.
- Meet, mingle, share and learn
from other authors and readers.
The event is comprised of: One keynote speaker; 5 to 6 featured authors and 20-25 exhibiting authors.
Keynote and featured authors are usually invited by the organizer, however, if you meet the criteria below and are interested in being either the keynote, please
feel free to send an inquiry to email@example.com.
Keynote Speaker - An author who is well known (for example is a NY Times or Essence
Best Selling Author), who has wide name recognition due to his/her writing accomplishments, and who will raise enthusiasm among the attending readers. This author will have published at least one new work in the 12 months before the event and will speak
to the entire audience for 40-50 minutes during the annual luncheon.
Featured Author - Would have several published works, including at least one
in the 12 months before the event, have appeared on an established best-seller list or garnered excellent reviews. This author should be able to conduct or participate in a 30-40 minute independent workshop or panel. If you’re interested and
meet the criteria please contact Sharon Lucas at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not chosen as a featured author, we encourage you to consider registering as an Exhibiting or vendor author.
Exhibiting Authors -This would include seasoned authors seeking to expand their audience and new/emerging authors who are looking for an audience These authors are the backbone of this event
as it is our goal to introduce them to an audience of avid readers and thus open new avenues of interest for both the writer and the reader. If you exhibited the year before, you must have at least one new work to share with the audience.
- The Exhibiting Author
fee covers: Admittance to the Friday evening reception and panel discussions, the Friday and Saturday Author Expo and the Saturday luncheon; a table to display and sell books during the Author Expo on both days; tablecloth and skirting are provided.
- Starting in 2019, the Author Expo will be open on both Friday and Saturday.
- Each author is required to provide a short bio which must include the title of their latest book, any awards, a headshot, contact email and/or website address, and a phone number.
- Helpers or other guests traveling with the author are required to purchase appropriate ticket(s) for the event.
- Thirty days before the event, refunds or substitutions will cease.